Insurance and College

csimt Uncategorized

Lindeen reminds Montana students, parents to keep insurance in mind as students head back to class

HELENA – Montana Insurance Commissioner Monica J. Lindeen reminded Montana’s college students to remember to pack their insurance when they are moving back to school this fall.

“It’s easy to forget about insurance,” Lindeen said, “especially when everything you own fits in your car. But having adequate renter’s and auto insurance means you will be protected if you are a victim of theft or an accident. And in the case of your car, insurance isn’t just a good idea; it’s the law.”

There are two kinds of property insurance first-time and returning students should know about:

  • Renter’s Insurance

Renter’s insurance covers the contents of your dorm room or apartment. Students may not think they have much to insure, but throw in phones, computers, clothes and costs quickly add up. Students living in the dorms may be covered by their parent’s homeowner’s policy, but those policies could have limits that would leave a student out in the cold if something came up. Renter’s insurance may cover your liability if you negligently hurt someone or damage someone’s personal property in your rental unit and it may cover your personal property if it is stolen from your car or backpack.

  • Auto Insurance

Montana students and parents should know that in our state, insurance follows the vehicle – not the driver. That means that if a student is taking their parents car to college, they don’t need to buy new insurance for it. Liability insurance is required for every vehicle that is owned and operated in Montana.  Additional coverages like rental reimbursement, comprehensive, collision and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can be purchased for additional premium.

Students and their parents are free to call Commissioner Lindeen’s office at 1-800-332-6128 if they have more questions.