When flooding is imminent or predicted, National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policyholders are eligible to receive up to $1,000 to purchase loss avoidance supplies like tarps, sandbags, and more.


Did you know most homeowners’ policies do not cover flood damage? Unless you’ve specifically purchased flood insurance, you are probably not covered against flood losses. You’re not alone; many Montanans are not covered. The good news is that flood insurance is available in most parts of Montana through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program.
Private flood insurance may be available and may be more affordable than National Flood Insurance. Contact your insurance agent to learn more.

Call us at 800.332.6148  |  406.444.2040 for more information, or issues.

The answer seems obvious, but here’s the usual definition for insurance purposes: A flood is an excess of water (or mud) on land that’s normally dry. The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) defines a flood to be a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder’s property) from overflow of inland or tidal waters; unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; mudflow; or collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or a similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining, caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels.

The terms of your policy will control what is covered or not covered in the case of flood damage.

Generally, flood damage caused by groundwater outside the home flowing into the home is not covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. Flood damage caused by a broken pipe or other means that occurred inside the house may be covered.

If you have flood damage and are wondering if the damage is covered, review the terms of your policy, contact your agent, or contact the CSI.

You can obtain flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) if you live in a community that participates in this program. Click HERE to learn more or apply for NFIP flood insurance.

You can also obtain private flood insurance through your agent.

There is a 30-day waiting period for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policy before coverage is in effect.

Private flood insurance policies may have shorter waiting periods. Check with your agent.

Federal disaster assistance is available only if the President declares a disaster. Such assistance typically comes in the form of a low-interest loan to help cover damage and must be repaid.

The cost of flood insurance varies by individual policy based on many factors.

Private flood insurance may be available in your area and be more affordable than insurance obtained through the National Flood Insurance Program. Check with your insurance agent for details about insurance available in your area.

It’s a good idea to buy flood insurance—even if you live in a moderate or low-risk area. Many people are financially vulnerable to floods. People outside of high-risk areas represent over 20% of NFIP claims and receive more than one-third of disaster assistance for flooding each year.

Under federal law, the purchase of flood insurance is mandatory for all federal or federally-related financial assistance for the acquisition and/or construction of buildings in high-risk flood areas (Special Flood Hazard Areas or SFHAs). If the property is not in a high-risk area, but instead is in a moderate-to-low-risk area, federal law does not require flood insurance; however, a lender can still require it.