WHAT WE DO
We are the state government regulator of the insurance and securities industries and advocate for the citizens of Montana. The Office of the Montana State Auditor, Commissioner of Securities and Insurance (CSI) is a criminal justice agency that protects Montana’s consumers by ensuring fairness, transparency and access for Montanans in two of Montana’s largest industries — securities and insurance.
HOW WE ARE ORGANIZED
We protect your interests and make sure that the insurance industry abides by state law through the regulation of insurance. We work hard to ensure insurance companies operate in a fiscally responsible manner. We also place a priority on consumer protection while fostering a strong, competitive marketplace that provides you with choices and access to high-quality, legitimate insurance products.
We protect you, the investor, promote uniformity in the state market, and encourage capital investment in Montana through the regulation of Securities. Securities professionals who want to do business in Montana must be registered with our office. We regularly conduct investor education tours across the state to teach seniors and other investors how to spot scams and invest wisely.
Our attorneys work to protect insurance consumers and securities investors and are involved in the prosecution of criminal court cases involving fraud. The legal team represents the agency in civil cases and is involved in drafting legislation, administrative actions, and the supervision of investigations into criminal matters that have been reported to our office.
Centralized ServicesThe Central Services and Information Technology Departments serve our entire agency and make sure that our agency is running smoothly and efficiently. From answering the phone, ordering supplies, making sure technology is up to par, and to paying the bills, these services are instrumental in how our agency runs.
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Police & Fire Reporting
Agency Goals and Objectives
- Review and approve forms within 60 days as required by 33-1-502, MCA.
- Conduct financial exams of traditional domestic insurers as often as the Commissioner considers advisable, but not less than one every 5 years and examine each captive insurer at least once in 3 years.
- Respond to and resolve policyholder complaints in a timely fashion.
- Complete market conduct examinations for domestic insurance carriers once every five years as required by 33-1-401, MCA.
- Review and approve licenses and renewals as required by 33-17-201, MCA.
- Review new product rates and rate increase requests to ensure rates are adequate, not excessive, not unfairly discriminatory, and for compliance with MCA.
- Investigate insurance fraud and refer cases for prosecution as required by 33-1-1502, MCA.
- Protect investors and persons involved in securities transactions by applying strict registration and qualification standards on firms and individuals seeking to transact securities business with Montana consumers and by conducting for cause and routine broker-dealer and investment advisor examinations.
- Assist Montana businesses in accessing capital through capital formation and equity crowdfunding presentations.
- Make investor and financial literacy education available to all Montanans through investor outreach, publications, public service announcements, and formal classroom teaching.
- Expand and improve the features offered by the Commissioner of Securities and Insurance, Montana State Auditor (CSI) website, as a way to increase government efficiency and consumer assistance.
- Provide efficient and effective administration, including management, human resources and financial services for the agency.