The CSI oversees the training and certification requirements on a state level for the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace located at Details on how to start or renew your certification as a certified exchange producer, certified application counselor, and navigator are below.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released a number of resources to assist with completing the Federally-facilitated Marketplace (FFM) agent and broker registration and training requirements. Marketplace training and registration can be found HERE. The page provides step-by-step instructions for completing FFM registration and training via the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS) or through CMS-approved vendors.

CMS has released a number of registration videos for different steps of the process. Please note: Agents and brokers previously registered with the FFM should start at Step 4 and use their existing FFM user ID and password.

  • Complete federal training (approximately 5 hours of online training).
  • Complete state training through AD Banker. The course is estimated to take 2-3 hours. The fee for the course is $149.95.
  • Apply for CEP certification with our office. Online certification applications are available at
  • Click on “Apply for License,” click on appropriate resident status, Click on the green “Apply here” button and choose the individual option. The correct license type is Certified Exchange Producer. Paper applications are also accepted. There is no fee for CEP certification. The online processing fee is $5.60.
  • CEPs should request appointments with all Marketplace carriers.
Requirements for Returning Certified Exchange Producers

The Federal Health Insurance Marketplace requires certified exchange producers to complete annual registration and training.

CACs are healthcare provider staff who have been trained to help people understand, apply for, and enroll in insurance coverage through CACs must be employed by a Certified CAC Organization.

If you leave the employment of a CAC Organization, you must move your CAC license to inactive status. If you move to another CAC Organization, your CAC license may remain active.

Training for New Certified Application Counselors
  • Complete federal training. Once an organization is certified by the federal government, they should receive a link to the training required by their CACs.
  • Apply for CAC certification with our office. Online certification applications are available at

Navigators are public advisors who help individuals and small employers compare health insurance options on

Training for New Navigators
  • Complete federal training. Navigator grant leads should provide the link to navigators.
  • Pass a background check.
  • Apply for Navigator certification with CSI. Online certification applications are available at
Visit for training information.