Company Licensing & Examinations
The Office of Montana Insurance Commissioner Matt Rosendale is charged by statute with regulating the business of insurance to ensure it is conducted in accordance with the law and in such a way as to protect policyholders and the general public. A key component of this work is licensing insurance companies and regularly examining their financial information.
To gain authorization to sell insurance in Montana, companies must demonstrate that they have a proven track record of paying claims and they have the ability to continue to pay claims. Once authorized, insurance companies are required to file quarterly and annual financial statements and annual independent auditor reports. Financial statements are closely reviewed to ensure that the ability to pay claims has not diminished. In addition, each insurer company is examined at least once every five years. Reports of examination are available upon request.
This office licenses and maintains the financial information for the approximately 1,500 insurance entities that are licensed to do business in Montana. We work hard to ensure companies operate in a fiscally responsible manner. We also place a priority on consumer protection, while fostering a strong, competitive marketplace that provides consumers with choices and access to high-quality, legitimate insurance products.
Below you will find the forms our office requires for insurance company licensing and examination.
Note: House Bill 66, effective 2/28/2019, removed the requirement of MCA 33-20-704 that charitable organizations that issue qualified charitable gift annuities notify the Commissioner in writing prior to entering into agreements. The form for charitable organizations has therefore been removed from the CSI website.
- Accredited Reinsurer Application
- Air Ambulance Membership Agreements Application
- Certified Reinsurer Application
- HMO Application
- Independent Review Organization Application
- Independent Review Organization Renewal
- Medical Care Discount Card Application
- Motor Club Application
- Premium Finance Co. Application
- Purchasing Group Application
- Rating Organization Application
- Reinsurance Intermediary Application
- Risk Retention Group Application
- Surplus Lines Company Application
- Third Party Administrator Application
- UCAA Adding Lines of Authority
- UCAA Expansion State Specific
- UCAA Primary State Specific
- UCAA Retaliatory Statement
- Viatical Settlement Provider Application
- Acquisition or Change in Ownership
- Adding to Lines of Authority
- Address Change
- Bulk Assumption Transfer
- Merger of Insurer
- Name Change
- Variable Authority